Monday, March 13, 2023

RIP David Rothel


 Facebook

By Judson Wright

February 23, 2023

 

David Rothel passed away on Sunday. A friend. A mentor. A found family.

I wanted to share some words, but I’ll be honest, none of them come near doing justice to the man or my thoughts. I have but snippets of moments. Awash with emotion. Jumbled. Inadequate to describe the loss I’m feeling this week.

I met David over twenty years ago at the Holly Theater in Dahlonega, GA. His life had many chapters and roles - educator, interviewer, husband, father, author, director, terrible retiree - and only later in life have I come to understand and relate to the parallel traits that made both of us. We met working on a production of Camelot together. Michael asked him and he agreed to coach me through a couple of scenes. Because I was young and clearly terrible at what I was doing. Quickly we realized a convivial chemistry and kinship when it came to scene work that transcended a literal lifetime of age difference between us. We just clicked.

Little did I know that those early theater days would spark almost a decade of theater together and one of the longest, dearest friendships of my life. So many nights with David, Nancy, and Michael that I’ll always carry with me. So many stories of actors I’d never heard of in films I’d only seen as posters covering his walls. As segments in rows of his books lining the shelves. My heart is always crushed by the library of human experience lost when someone passes away, and that’s exponentially more so with David.

It’s funny…I think some folks could be intimidated by him. He could come off as rather stern and had high standards for his projects (and let you know it). And it’s because he genuinely knew what it was to have a vision for a thing, and the work needed to bring that thing to life. If he committed to write a book, to direct a show, he was all in. That became his life through the process. And he relished the process. Anyone who worked with him long enough knew he couldn’t give a damn about the performances. He loved the opportunity to craft and workshop and play.

But I also know he was one of the biggest softies. He could be so sweetly sentimental about life and people and stories. The way he spoke about Nancy was both frank and aww-inducing. He knew when to give advice. And he knew when he didn’t have anything meaningful to say, he wouldn’t try to come up with something. He would just nod and sympathize and hold space. Which was a pretty powerful thing looking back on it. And though we would often razz one another, it was always from a place of respect and appreciation. I’m going to miss that, old man.

No matter where I ended up in the world, we always managed to find moments to come together. To laugh. To cry. To adventure and to reminisce. I don’t know if he truly knew just how meaningful that has been for me as a nomad in my own life, but it’s a friendship I will carry with me always. I take solace in knowing I always made sure to let David know he mattered. We last really spoke a handful of weeks ago when he was about to go into the hospital, and while I didn’t know it would be our last full conversation, it was a good one. And we were able to express our mutual appreciation as found family. And I’m so glad for that.

Now this ran a little long as I thought over countless stories and moments, but for those of you who knew David, I’d love to hear what memories you have if you’d be willing to share. It’s not lost on me that actually without David’s casting choices, I actually would never have had the opportunity to work with many of you, to foster the friendships and experiences we’ve had. So, in that way, that’s a part of him that lives on, too.

David. You will be missed. And you will be remembered. And you will be celebrated.

ROTHEL, David (David Delbert Rothel)

Born: 12/23/1936, Elyria, Ohio, U.S.A.  

Died:  2/19/2023, Dahlonega, Georgia, U.S.A.

 

David Rothel’s westerns – author:

Who Was That Masked Man: The Story of the Lone Ranger – 1977

The Singing Cowboys – 1978

His Typewriter Grew Spurs.....A biography of Fran Striker--writer. Documenting the Lone Ranger's ride on the radiowaves of the world - 1983

Those Great Cowboy Sidekicks – 1984

The Roy Rogers Book: A Reference: Trivia Scrapbook - 1987

The Gene Autry Book – 1988

Allan "Rocky" Lane: Republic's Action Ace - 1990

Ambush of Ghosts: A Guide to Great Western Film Locations - 1991

Tim Holt – 1994

Richard Boone: A Knight Without Armor in a Savage Land – 2000

Lash LaRue, King of the Bullwhip - 2003

No comments:

Post a Comment